Estate of James Currie, deceased
Certified Copy for Reg of Deeds
This is the last will and testament of me James Currie of Charlottetown in Queens County in Prince Edward Island, Ex-Collector of Customs.
I hereby revoke all former wills by me at any time made and declare this to be my last will. It is my will that I be buried in the old burying ground at Wood Islands in which my father was buried.
I direct my executors hereinafter named to cause my mare known as "Dolly" to be chloroformed.
I give to my servant Henry Dorion the parcel of land on the north side of the York Lane in the City or Common of Charlottetown, now owned by me, containing one acre of land or thereabouts. I also give to the said Henry Dorion my mare known as "Minnie" also a cart and truck and all my farming implements.
I give devise and bequeath all the rest and residue of my real and personal property unto my executors Simon W. Crabbe, of Charlottetown, Hardware Merchant, Duncan C. McLeod of Charlottetown, Barrister, and Dugald Currie of West River (brother of the late Donald Currie, formerly Collector of Customs) upon trust that the said Simon W. Crabbe, Duncan C. McLeod and Dugald Currie and the survivors and survivor of them do and shall as soon as conveniently may be after my decease, collect, get in, receive and recover such debts and sums of money as may be anyways due and owing to me at the time of my death and do and shall sell and dispose of the said real estate and such parts of said personal estate as shall not consist of money and do and shall pay and apply the moneys arising from the sale of such real property and the calling in and conversion of such personal property and any ready moneys I may have at the time of my death as follows.
1. To pay my debts and funeral and testamentary expenses.
2. To supply a sum sufficient to put up a fitting headstone at the graves of both myself and my father and to erect a substantial fence around the said burying ground at Wood Islands.
3. To apply a sum sufficient to erect a suitable tombstone over the grave at Covehead of Mrs. Peter Doyle (whose maiden name was Sarah Flynn)
4. To pay Mary McNeill my housekeeper the sum of one thousand dollars which is hereby bequeathed to her.
5. To pay said Henry Dorion the sum of one hundred dollars which I hereby bequeath to him. 6. To pay to James and Hattie children of Benjamin Pettigrew, formerly of Charlottetown and of Jane Pettigrew his wife the sum of six hundred dollars each, which said sum I hereby bequeath to each of them.
7. To pay all the residue and remainder of my estate to my said housekeeper Mary McNeill to whom I give and bequeath the same. It is my will that my executors shall be paid what is just and reasonable for their services.
I hereby appoint the said Simon W. Crabbe, Duncan C. McLeod and Dugald Currie to be the executors of this my will. Dated this fifth day of June, A.D. 1909.
(Sgd.) James Currie.
Signed, Published and Declared by the said testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses;
(Sgd.) Peter Conroy W.E. Bentley, Charlottetown, Attorney at Law.
Province of Nova Scotia
County of Pictou S.S.
In the Court of Probate
I John D. McLeod Registrar of said Court do hereby certify that the foregoing type writing paper is a true and certified copy of the last Will and Testament of James Currie late of Charlottetown in the Province of Prince Edward Island Ex Collector of Customs deceased which said certified copy was duly filed in the Registry of this Court at Pictou on the 6th day of October AD 1910 together with duplicate Letters Testamentary in the above aforesaid Declared Granted by the Court of Probate for said Province of Prince Edward Island and which said duplicate Letters Testamentary were Sealed with the Seal of this Court in accordance with the provisions of chapter 158 Section 30 and subsection of the Review *** of Nova Scotia 1900
Witness my hand and Seal at Pictou this 6th day of October 1910. John D. MacLeod Registrar
Stamp - PROVINCE OF NOVA SCOTIA, REGISTRAR OF DEEDS Office, County of Pictou, NOV 15 1910 I certify that the within instrument was duly registered at 4 PM of the above day in Book 4, page 397 on the certificate of John D. MacLeod Reg John Yorston Registrar.
Vault - Registry of Deeds Shelf
|File number:||15W - 1181C|
|Contributor:||Judy Cormier | View all submissions|
|Tags:||James Currie of Charlottetown P.E.I., Ex-Collector of Customs, Wood Islands, servant Henry Dorion, York Lane, Simon W. Crabbe of Charlottetown, Hardware Merchant, Duncan C. McLeod of Charlottetown, Barrister, Dugald Currie of West River, late Donald Currie Collector of Customs, Covehead, Mrs. (Sarah Flynn)Peter Doyle, Mary McNeill, James Pettigrew, Hattie Pettigrew, Benjamin Pettigrew, Jane Pettigrew, 1909, Peter Conroy, W.E. Bentley of Charlottetown, Attorney at law, 1910|
|Uploaded on:||March 19, 2015|