Estate of Elisabeth Copeland, late of Merigomish, Widow, deceased, Testate
Copy of Will for the Registrar of Deeds
In the name of God, Amen.
I, Elisabeh Copeland, relict of the late William Copeland, Blacksmith, Merigomish, Pictou, Nova Scotia, being sound in memory and understanding do hereby make this my last Will and Testament in manner following,
1. I commit my body to my executor, hereinafter named, to be decently committed to the Earth and a suitable monument to be erected to my memory, and my Soul to God in Christ, in the hope of a glorious reunion of Soul and body in a blessed resurrection
. 2. I hereby appoint son, John Copeland, Sole executor of this my last Will and Testament and Charge him to collect all debts justly due to me, within twelve months from my decease and to pay all claims against me, as well as to pay all the legacies hereinafter mentioned, to the parties named, as Law directs.
3. I hereby give and bequeath to my sons John, William L. George W. and Thomas Copeland, One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) each.
4. I hereby give and bequeath to my daughter Catherine wife of James Roy ($100.00) One Hundred Dollars. To my daughter Agnes wife of William Brown, One Hundred dollars ($100.00) and to my daughter Ann wife of John Robert Dempsey, All & Whole, The Household Furniture, Two (2) Acres of land held by me by Last Will and Testament of my late Husband William Copeland, hereinbefore named, and the Cow belonging to me.
5. I hereby give and bequeath to my daughter Ann Copeland or Dempsey, All the residue of money or other property justly belonging to me, free from all claims by any other person or persons whatever.
In testimony of my adherence to the above bequests, I have hereunto signed and Sealed this my last Will and Testament in the presence of witnesses whose names are hereunto appended, on this seventeenth day of August, One Thousand Eight hundred and Eighty three.
Signed Elisabeth Copeland L.S.
We the undersigned saw this Testament Signed and Sealed By the Testator -
Signed Mitchell Copeland
" John L. Copeland
See Codicil to this Last Will and Testament on Page 3 of this sheet.
--Codicil to the Last Will and Testament of Mrs. Elizabeth Copeland, written on page 1st. of this Sheet.
I hereby revoke No. 3, of my Last Will and Testament and substitute as follows, I hereby give and bequeath to my sons William S. Eighty Dollars ($80.00) To John Five dollars ($5.00) and George Five dollars ($5.00) and to Thomas Copeland Five dollars ($5.00).
2. I hereby give and bequeath to the Board of Home Missions of the Synod of the Maritime Provinces of The Presbyterian Church in Canada, the sum of Twenty Dollars ($20.00)
Signed Elisabeth Copeland
We, the undersigned saw this Codicil signed by the Testator on this twentieth day of August, one Thousand Eight Hundred and Eighty three years.
Signed A.P. Miller
" Mitchell Copeland
County of Pictou Sf
In the Court of Probate of Wills
I do hereby certify that the foregoing instrument consisting of two pages, is an exact and literal copy of the last Will and testament & Codicil thereto, of Elisabeth Copeland late of Merigomish in the County of Pictou, Widow, deceased, Testate, which has been duly filed and admitted to Probate in accordance with the practice of the Court.
Given under my hand at Pictou this 23rd. day of October A.D. 188. John H. Lane Registrar
To the Registrar of Deeds for the County of Pictou
Province of Nova Scotia Registrars Office Pictou 24th Oct 1883 I certify that the within instrument was duly registered at 3 PM of the above day in the registry of Wills Book No 1 pages 203,204 & 20 5 on the certificate of John H. Lane Regr of Probate John Ferguson Rgr.
Vault - Registry of Deeds Shelf
|File number:||15W - 1165C|
|Contributor:||Judy Cormier | View all submissions|
|Tags:||Elisabeth Copeland of Merigomish, late William Copeland Blacksmith, John Copeland, William L. Copeland, George W. Copeland, Thomas Copeland, Catherine wife of James Roy, Agnes wife of William Brown, Ann wife of John Robert Dempsey, 1883, Mitchell Copeland, John L. Copeland, Codicil, A.P. Miller|
|Uploaded on:||March 18, 2015|